Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fair Weather Fan, 911 and DVD

Over the last 11 days or so a few things stand out to me. They are as follows:

Fair Weather Fan?
My Uncle was in town last week and wanted to see a Tigers game. I haven't been a baseball fan since the last strike. When my Dad came up with an extra ticket, away I went. I'll tell you the bad things first. I had never been to Comerica Park for a baseball game (I was there once for a party after Fash Bash) and was looking forward to a cold beer and some peanuts. The beer was $8 for a 30 oz cup, and the peanuts were $4. I wasn't prepared for this. I headed for an ATM, after all I was at Comerica Park, I shouldn't have a hard time finding an ATM. Just outside of my section I saw an ATM with no one waiting. As I approached I noticed a disturbing sign, "Out of Order". What? Ok, this wasn't going to stop me. I started walking. I went from section 118 to section 136 when I saw another ATM sign. As I walked up I saw 40 people in line. What kind of a bank sponsors a baseball park, puts in 4 ATM's and then let's one be out of order during a game? Comerica. After waiting in line for money I had to pee, more waiting in line. Then I needed that beer and peanuts. More lines! Arg!

Despite the expensive food (I had peanuts, nachos, popcorn, and 2 beers) I had a great time. I was reminded of playing little league baseball, and going to opening day in 1984 with my friend Brian, and the time I took my Grandparents when I was given tickets from my boss at Carron & Co. (sometime in the mid 90's). All good memories. And to top it off, the Tigers kicked ass! I'm looking forward to taking my boys when they are old enough.

911
It was about 8pm on Saturday night when we heard Aidan making noise upstairs. We told him to just come down and have some popcorn with us. While we were enjoying our popcorn the phone rang. I got up to answer and as I was walking back to the couch Aidan decided to stand up, fall, and smash his face into the coffee table. I heard a horrible bone crunch. I said "Oh my god, gotta go" and hung the phone up on My sister-in-law Jamey, sorry Jamey. Aidan was screaming. My wife Melissa picked him up and tried to console him. I said let me see. I held him, blood all over his face and mouth, asked him to open his mouth so I could see. I freaked. Normally I'm the calm one, not this evening. I saw blood, raw flesh and loose teeth that he was trying to spit out. Again, I freaked. "Call 911 !", I said as I ran him to the bathroom so he could spit out his teeth. I held him over the sink and encouraged him to spit the contents out. It was at this point I realize he is spitting out popcorn. I tell Melissa to wait, I can drive him to the hospital. Too late, sirens blasting in the background. Moments later we were out front of the house with one squad car, one fire engine and one EMS. They checked him out and told us he was Ok but needed to go and have a Dr. check him out. Several hours later and a trip to the ER our night was over. No stitches, just some surgical glue and nervous parents.

DVD
Melissa got me a sweet DVD player for Christmas our first year of marriage. The boys decided that they needed to jam crap in it over the last year. This weekend it was beyond repair. I know it was because I tried to fix it. I took the entire thing apart, ended up getting angry and tossing it in the trash. We got a new one for under $40. If I knew DVD players were that cheap I would have never tried to fix it. Oh well, it was fun...

5 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I said "Oh my god, gotta go"?

I believe it was more like, "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!"

*Click*

You my friend are the king of understatement.

We're glad Aidan is okay.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger the_ubster said...

I'm glad I can laugh at the situation now.
Jamey, I can only imagine the horrible things running through your head. Was it a robber? house fire? canadians? ...

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger MeMaMo said...

The king of understatement is right Mark, not only did Aidan get "just some surgical glue and nervous parents", but he also had put his two bottom teeth completely through another spot on his chin, lowered his gum line and will most likely loose those two teeth much sooner than he should have! At least I wasn't the one who yelled "call 911" because I never would have lived that one down.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The only reason to go to a sporting event is if:

1) you're a HUGE fan of the sport.
2) clients have great seats and are picking up the tab.

Really glad Aidan is ok!

Sounds like lots of excitement.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is a nice stadium. Can you score some tickets next time we're in town?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home