Sunday, June 18, 2006

Velodrome

Last night we went to Bloomer Park in Rochester Hills, we have been there several times over the years. The first time was when Melissa was attempting to induce labor with Aidan, a hike seemed like a good idea, till the downpour. I digress; we were there last night to view the 2008 Olympic hopefuls for track cycling on the velodrome. I'd seen the track before but this was the first time we saw it in action. These guys are crazy, the track is 1/8 of a mile with 44 degree banks and 13 degree straightaway. I'd guess the speeds near or exceed 45 mph. One needs to maintain 15 mph to stay on the banks. There are sprints which are pretty exciting but the team races were the riders literally grab their partner and throw them ahead during the transitions are insane! Here is a link to the construction of the velodrome, gives you an idea of the track, and to the site. Here are some that Melissa took last night.











I think I'm going to take a lesson this summer :-)

3 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I can't believe I lived in Rochester for almost four years and never went to this park. I guess it was probably just the time in my life. It seems like we were always on-the-go...

Nice pics.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That looks awesome. I've gotta try it!!!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger the_ubster said...

Thanks, Melissa took the photos. They just put the velodrome in a few years ago. The park is huge, lots of mountain bike trails too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home