Thursday, August 23, 2007

What have I done?

I did it. I signed up for the LaSalle Bank Run Wild for the Detroit Zoo 5K Run. After reading Josh's blogs on running, and remembering when I used to run (I was all city in high school track and captain of the track team, okay that was almost 20 years ago. Call me Al Bundy). Instead of talking about it I'm doing it. The run is on September 16th which gives me about 3 weeks to get in shape. The last time I ran in any competition was in 2000 and before that 1990. It was a spur of the moment thing, while racing sailboats in Key West the boat team decided to run this race. I went to a local sporting goods store, purchased running shoes and went to the starting line. Our boat, Wild Thang, finshed 10th. Overall I finished 101 out of 132 with a time of 30:45. I'm a bit heavier & older now so my goal is to not die during this run.

What have I done?

Time Remaining

8 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, not falling to the ground dead should certainly be a primary goal. That is good.

Do you have an estimated finish time? What pace per mile are you shooting for?

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger the_ubster said...

Well the run starts at 8am, like Grandpa Connelly used to say, the name of the game is to finish the same day you start... granted that was when playing cards, but I feel it applies in this case as well.

I don't even wear a watch when I have run the last few times. So I'm not sure of my current pace, or a target pace. Now that I think about it, not sure I own a watch suitable for running.

Did I answer your questions?

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger the_ubster said...

All joking aside. I'm going to try and beat my previous time of 30:45. So I think that puts me in the 9 minutes per mile range. Next time I run I'll let you know my current pace.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger MeMaMo said...

I have confidence that you can accomplish that! After doing some research though I think you should go to Hansons running shop and get better shoes for the foot problems you have.

Also, I found this website that I think will be helpful. Not that I know a whole lot about running but I am just trying to be a good supportive wife. ;-)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger MeMaMo said...

Oops, here is the website!

http://www.runguru.com/

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Pvt.Gump said...

Are there odds on this in Runners World Magazine? Maybe an under-over on how many yards...oops I meant miles, your going to make it.

Try to remember, DO NOT RUN INTO THE LIGHT! It could be "The Light" or it could be a truck.

Seriously, good luck buddy!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Mark said...

"3 weeks to get in shape"

Man, that's comedy gold right there.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hows the training going?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home