Friday, August 03, 2007

BSOD

Many of you may have noticed I've added a "Days Since BSOD" to the side bar of my blog. While I didn't have a true BSOD, it was bad enough. My Acer TravelMate 4400 died. I was working away when it went ker-plunk. Blank screen. The hard drive lights were still on and the drive was spinning. I looked closer and noticed that screen wasn't blank, if I got real close I could see what looked like images burned into the pixels of an old monitor. I was able to move my mouse. I went to unplug it and take it to the window to see more. That was all she wrote. It died at that very moment. Never to boot again.

I ran to the local MicroCenter and purchased a new laptop. I got one of the cheaper models since my experience has been they last about two years no matter what you pay for them. I purchased a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4697 with Windows Vista. This is my first real run with Vista. Once I figured out where they hid everything I was up in running. Took the hard drive out of the old laptop and put it in a USB enclosure and in a few hours I was up and running again.

While this isn't a true BSOD, it is the beginning of my counter.

2 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your hard drive data is saved. You however are a geek!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger the_ubster said...

Hey now. Easy.

Okay, you're right. I am a bit of a geek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home