Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My "New" iPod

About a year ago I was in New York working and visiting my brother and his wife. My brother, a Mac user, and a bit of an early adopter, was on his second iPod and offered me his old one. It was a 10 gig Gen 1, a classic! The only problem was that the battery life was about 30 - 45 minutes. My wife had wanted one for some time so I figured that she could use it. When I returned and presented the gift to her she thought it was great, till she charged it and took it to workout... kerplunk, kerplooey. It died!

I charged it and listened to music (compliments of my Bro, 4 gigs of songs) for about an hour while around the house. I decided that I would take it, I set it down in my home office and forgot about it because my PC didn't have a firewire card. Fast Forward to yesterday. I needed headphones for the office, I knew that there was a pair by that old iPod... I grabbed the iPod & headphones and headed for the office. I not sure what came over me but I was going to make this classic iPod work. A quick trip to Micro Center at lunch to pick up a Firewire card, only $9.99, for my PC and I was off. While the iPod was charging I began to download iTunes for my PC and home I went. This morning I installed iTunes and it immediately recognized the iPod and wanted to format it for my PC. No wait! I have to get the songs off first. A quick trip to Major Geeks and three failed attempts with freeware/shareware (YamiPod, iPod Rip, and Media Monkey) I found XPlay. XPlay allowed my Mac formatted iPod drive to be mounted by my PC. I then just used windows explorer to copy the music files to my hard drive. I also used it to print the playlists.

I then allowed iTunes to reformat and upgrade the iPod to the latest software. A few clicks later and I'm in business. The iPod is charged, all music is synchronized, I recreated the playlists that were on the iPod (hey, they were good). I know your saying, but you can only listen to it for 30 minutes... iPodbattery.com offers replacement batteries for $15.95.

Oh yeah, the headphones. The reason I needed them at the office is a co-worker wanted me to listen to a clip from "Coast to Coast", a show he listens to in the middle of the night when he can't sleep. This night was about UFO's.... wow

5 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Welcome to 2001! After I get finished watching Harry Potter, I'm going to play my shiny new Xbox.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger the_ubster said...

Maybe I'll upgrade my PC to Windows 98, wait I'll go right to XP!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you should go to Windows ME... And then straight to Vista.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here's an interesting iPod article...

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger the_ubster said...

Yeah, but that's why we love him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home